Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fits, Starts, and (S)Puttering Along

First, the important stuff: I'm teaching a yoga for runners workshop on May 5th at Quiet Mind Yoga in Washington, DC. If you're in the area and have always wondered what yoga can do for your running, please stop by. Scroll down on the studio's "Workshops" page to register. Hope to see you there!

Now, on to my running.

Something is wrong with my right leg. It sucks.

Two weeks ago, it was deceptively warm after a couple of frigid weeks in D.C., so it seemed like a good idea to run home from work. Unbeknownst to me until I stepped out of my office, it was in the low 50˚s and winds were steady at 20mph, gusting to 30mph. Ugh. And brrr. Twenty steps in, my right ankle felt weird. I have freakishly flexible but strong ankles – the only time I've ever sprained one was when I tripped and tried to stay upright while running down stairs a decade ago. I actually tore a ligament there because you know, when it comes to me and soft tissue injuries, it's either go big or go home. Anyway, I figured the ankle would feel better over time. And it did.

But then the rest of the kinetic chain started falling apart. I circled the Washington Monument, a mere half mile into my run, and just hoped to get home because the headwind was pretty wicked. Then there was a twinge in my calf. Or my hamstring. I kept running. "It'll ease away if I ever warm up in this wind."

I went for about 2 more miles before calling it quits. By then, all the wrong muscles started compensating for whatever was wrong in my right leg, and my right knee was really, really unhappy. I limped home. Did I mention it was windy? 

Sigh.

Since then, I've been resting, mostly because every run I've attempted since then has resulted in a walk home. Even today. Not exactly inspring.

I've been trying to figure out if I pulled something or if something is weak. It's likely a combination of both, so I've headed back to Pilates. I've pulled out the foam roller. And the Yamuna Ball. I even picked up some calf compression sleeves.
It's slow going. The right leg and knee still feel pretty weird after about 2 miles, and now I'm seriously contemplating a DNS for the Pike's Peek 10K next week, which is a subpar way of starting off this year's races.

On the plus side, I'll be able to head to a yin yoga training that I had been trying to figure out how I'd be able to fit in to my schedule. Silver linings, right?