Friday, March 22, 2013

A Case of the Blahs

At the risk of sounding like the opening pages of either a self-help book or a memoir worthy of Oprah's attention, I've got the mid-March lack of running motivation blahs. The whole point of registering for the April 21 Pike's Peek 10K was to nip the blahs before they became full-blown, but the weather and daylight savings time have conspired against me. And so it's been 11 days between training runs. 

That's right. ELEVEN.

You wouldn't know it from this training cycle the last 4 months, but I'm a morning runner. And a morning yogini. And a morning skier, for that matter. Actually, the best way to get me out of bed in the morning is to tell me that conditions on the mountain are going to be stellar. 

When I was in Tahoe last month, my body was dialed into its circadian clock. I stayed awake for about four hours after the sun set and woke up as the ski lightened just before 7, all without an alarm. 

Then I came back east, where I'm at my desk at 8:30am and am still there at 6pm (and which is a whole other story).

And then daylight savings time started less than a week later. Remember back in the old days when daylight savings time started in April?? I do. I miss it. A lot.

I know a lot of people love that it's now light outside in the evenings when leaving work. But my body is pretty reluctant to wake up when it's dark after it's been growing accustomed to the sun rising before 7am. So for the month that it takes to regain what was lost with daylight savings time, I struggle to roll out of bed. Every. Day.

This means that my morning runs are non-existent. And the first 10K of the season is looming. The best I could garner this week was a cameo appearance at the Pilates studio during lunch on Wednesday, one active yoga class, and 4 miles in the Brooks.

*Big, huge, excuse-laden sigh (because, you know, there's nothing keeping me from running in the evenings).*

I need a running reboot. 

This week's workouts (to keep me honest):

Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest (see what I mean about the blahs? I can't even motivate on weekends!)
Monday - 90 minutes yoga
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - 60 minutes Pilates
Thursday - 75 minutes yin yoga
Friday - 4 mile run