Friday, January 9, 2015

Getting to Non-Attachment

In the early summer of 2012, I found myself at a crossroads. I know, cliché, especially coming from a yoga teacher. But bear with me. 

I blogged about a student leaving a yoga class as I was teaching it and needing to reinvigorate my yoga teaching. I'd been teaching for one year and had a month earlier picked up two amazing regular classes. After a year of networking, I'd finally had three regular weekly classes that I could cultivate.

Then a former employer in Seattle asked me to apply for a position there. I loved the people I met when I worked and lived in Seattle in 2010, and of course, the access to the outdoors. The low clouds all winter long nearly killed me, though. 

Between my ambivalence about Seattle, a desire to nevertheless move out of the D.C. area, and having finally "made it" with teaching yoga part-time in D.C., I was conflicted. I was really attached to the two new classes that I had just picked up. I recognized the attachment, knew that nothing is constant, and yet I clung to the classes. 

I had worked so hard to get to a place where I was teaching regular restorative yoga classes in studio settings in D.C.

So, it's with a cheeky smile that I write that as of last week, I no longer teach those classes: a Friday night class and a Saturday afternoon class. Technically, I haven't taught the specific Friday night class since 2013, but I replaced it with another Friday night class. 

Don't get me wrong. I loved teaching those classes. 

But, in November, I decided to shake up my yoga teaching schedule. [insert one of my least favorite clichés about making space for something new to come into your life] There isn't a defining moment of how I arrived at non-attachment to the classes, but it was a little unnerving not having anything to "fill" the space. Over the course of a few weeks, it just made sense to let go and see what would happen.

Two fantastic teachers are inheriting the classes, and for that I am grateful.

Now, I'm facing my first Friday and Saturday that were until 10am this morning completely unstructured. The idea of having a weekend is amazing. I'm positively giddy. I'm headed to a yoga workshop tonight and tomorrow, and I don't even need to find subs to cover for me. 

Wow.