Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Finding a Cure for Urban Pavement Fatigue

I've been spending the last few days moping around, lamenting at how long it takes my legs to recover from seemingly easy workouts and generally being nervous that the MCM 10K in a few weeks is just not going to feel good. 

Take Monday. I wanted to head to an early morning yoga class and then chase it with a 3 or 4 mile run around town. Except when I jogged the third of a mile to yoga, my quads protested with each step and let me know that they were tired. Seriously legs? Just wake up. I figured yoga would do the trick.

Except it didn't. 

After yoga, I ran a quarter mile and realized pretty quickly that there was no way I was going to get any run resembling "quality." I resolved to rest for ~36 hours until Pilates tonight.

One of the things that I've had to get used to the last few days is figuring out a schedule where work is not the centerpiece. Then someone looking out for me sent me the weather forecast for DC this week.
My nature fairy godmother is an early riser...
I needed to get outside, stat. So much for resting the legs for 36 hours.

It turns out my legs (and I, in general) were suffering from a combination of urban pavement fatigue and nature deficit disorder. The moment I turned my car onto tree-lined approach for Sugarloaf Mountain, I breathed easier/felt a weight lifting off of me/insert your favorite cliché.
Then I stepped onto a trail worth trying, and the legs did not protest.
Yes, it really is subtitled "A trail worth trying."
Okay, I didn't exactly run up these, but the plan was to warm up with a walk to the summit and then do a 5 mile loop.
At the summit, a view of...emissions from a power plant!
And then on to the parts of the trail that I'd actually run. Ahhhhh.
The miles weren't the best, physically, and the overwhelmingly rocky terrain wasn't the best for a trail running noob, either. But dragging myself out of the city and into the woods for a few hours? It was just what the nature doctor ordered.

And I skipped Pilates tonight.