Thursday, September 20, 2007

God Answers Prayers AND Petitions for Permanent Injunction!

Okay, law geeks: CNN.com reports of a state legislator in Nebraska who sued God and seeks a permanent injunction for "widespread death, destruction" in its story "'God' responds to legislator's lawsuit." It gets better. God filed an Answer to the petition. And here I was concerned about how one would actually serve that petition. Check it out before the story expires a month from now. Highlights, according to CNN.com (and they're not kidding) include:

  • God actually filed a response, stating Nebraska lacks jurisdiction [I don't know, if God is "everywhere," then I think he has the requisite minimum contacts to be subject to any long-arm statute];
  • St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness on court filing; and
  • Response: suit doesn't consider free will; defendant immune from some law.
This being Blogger-powered, I can't figure out a decent way to make available the complaint for downloading, but it's filed in the Douglas County, Nebraska's district court, captioned Chambers v. God, docket 1075, page 472. Here's a link to another blog that is more sophisticated (technically and otherwise) than mine.

I know I'm not the only person to whom the case reminds me of Mayo v. Satan and His Staff, 54 F.R.D. 282 (W.D. Pa. 1971) (see the aforementioned other blog), where service of process and personal jurisdiction actually was a hurdle. Apparently that plaintiff sued Satan and his servants for allegedly placing deliberate obstacles in plaintiff's path and causing his downfall. Alas. And for all the non-law geek readers, I'll return to my normal programming soon.